I.K.Gujral Punjab Technical University (IKGPTU) was established by an Act of State Legislature on 16th January, 1997, to promote technical, management and pharmaceutical education in the state at degree level and above. It was established as Punjab Technical University and renamed as I.K.Gujral Punjab Technical University by State Government in the honor to Late Sh. Inder Kumar Gujral, Former Prime Minister of India, in 2015. The University has the mandate to set up centres of excellence in emerging technologies and for promoting training, research and development in these areas. The University has undertaken the task of training students to help in the development of skilled manpower in this sector in the country in general and in the state in particular. With this goal in mind, the university is promoting a number of courses in different streams in regular as well as distance education programmes. At present University have 121 AICTE and 65 UGC institutes affiliated with it.
IKGPTU is undertaking and supervising the instructions and award of 30+ bachelor's degrees in Engineering & Technology & 20+ in non-AICTE & UGC courses. The University has a land area of 78.16 acres & it owns more than 10 campuses throughout the state of Punjab.
University started its journey with 09 Engineering & 05 Management colleges. IKGPTU has its own learning centers under Distance Education Programme. The University has a rich strength of lakhs of students, which also includes 1,500+ international students from 30+ countries.
I.K.Gujral Punjab Technical University (PTU) has bagged the much coveted Best Technical University Award for the year 2013. The Award, instituted by Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE) and Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), Bhubaneswar, encourages technical universities to enhance their performance and to serve the community as well as stakeholders by improving quality and maintaining the standard of the programs offered.
Earlier, University had bagged an award in the “Best University Promoting High Quality Research at Master's and Doctoral Thesis Work” category in the CCI Technology Education Excellence Awards 2013. This award was instituted by a Consortium of Co-Chairpersons-Industry (CCI) of Gujarat Technological University (GTU), jointly with the Communication Multimedia and Infrastructure Association of India (CMAI) .
IKGPTU has also been conferred upon eINDlA 2010 Award of the Year as "ICT Enabled University of the Year" and "Open and Distance Learning Initiative of the Year Award" by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Govt. of India, at Hyderabad on August 5, 2010.
IKGPTU is offering a number of schemes for students like SC/ST welfare schemes, in which no fee is to be paid by the SC/ST students, and also is successfully executing the schemes of Punjab Government. The university also offers free schemes for needy & scholar students. It also offers various scholarship schemes like GATE Scholarship, JRF and SRF scholarships, UGC/NET Schemes and Scholarships, research grants, research and development projects etc.
University aims at holistic development of the students. It provides a course on Human Values & Professional Ethics for all engineering & management students, in collaboration with NRCVEE, IIT, Delhi and IIIT, Hyderabad.
IKGPTU provides a platform to its students to get them acquainted with the industrial needs by providing them industrial training throughout the year. The job fairs are organized regularly. The university also participates in different industrial fairs as well as in trade expo. The university has signed MoUs & other collaborations with various national & international companies.
IKG PTU is always concerned about the training & placement of its students. Faculty Development Programs have been regularly organized to provide the best faculty by calling resource persons from IITs, IIMs & NITs.The University has a mission to provide excellent education to the IKGPTU students and make the affiliated institutes as Centres of Excellence.
Features of I.K. Gujral Punjab Technical University
- The University has 78.16 acres of land with covered area more than 5.0 lac square feet.
- State-of-the-art laboratories and air conditioned classrooms.
- Wi-Fi campus with leased line Internet facility.
- Newly furnished hostel accommodation.
- State-of-art sports facilities.
- Modern cafeteria & central library.
- Transportation facilities.
- Academic support to approx. 1.5 lakhs (including 1,500 plus international students from 30 plus countries) students enrolled in 186 affiliated institutes/colleges.
- Short term courses in foreign language for enhancing employability of students.
- Human Values & Professional Ethics course for all students, in collaboration with NRCVEE, IIT Delhi and IIIT Hyderabad.
- Periodic restructuring and updating of the courses to match international standards in consultation with the help of Industrialists / R&D / Academia.
- Access to e-journals in different subjects.
Achievements of I.K. Gujral Punjab Technical University
- Overall ranked 3rd in State, 33rd in research and 54th among top 100 Universities of India in NIRF ranking (National Institutional Ranking Framework) by All-India Ranking 2016 conducted by Ministry of HRD.
- University has been awarded as the “Best University Promoting High Quality Research at Master’s and Doctoral Thesis Work” category in the CCI Technology Education Excellence Awards 2013. This award was instituted by a Consortium of Co-Chairpersons-Industry (CCI) of Gujarat Technological University (GTU), jointly with the Communication Multimedia and Infrastructure Association of India (CMAI).
- eINDlA 2010 Award of the Year as “ICT Enabled University of the Year” and “Open and Distance Learning Initiative of the Year Award” by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Govt. of India.
- University provides grants for organizing FDPs/STCs/Workshops/Seminars.
- The University has various prestigious collaborations with number of national institutes like Thompson Rivers University – Canada, Indian Institute of Travel and Tourism Management-Gwalior, Sardar Swaran Singh National Institute of Renewable Energy-Kapurthala, Punjab Agricultural University – Ludhiana, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences–Faridkot.
- Best Technical University Award for the year 2013 by Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE).